Effective enterprise resource planning (ERP) is important to all manufacturers, but may be even more so for job shops. Your business is unique, and the unpredictable, on-demand operational pace can put a huge strain on staffing and financial resources. And, if you’re managing your job shop business with Excel spreadsheets, homegrown software or a basic accounting system, you may be doing yourself and your company a disservice.
Many of our customers ask us, “How do you know when it's time to upgrade to a more robust accounting or ERP solution?” Recognizing the signs isn't always easy, so here are 5 questions to ask yourself:
- Do you struggle getting the inventory visibility you need to ensure that demand can be satisfied?
- Are you entering the same information into several different systems or spreadsheet?
- Are your quotes and cost estimates inaccurate and taking too much time to generate?
- Do you have difficulty getting the job costing information needed to make timely decisions?
- Are you concerned about the ability of your existing financial/accounting system will fit your future business needs?
If you answered "yes" to any of the questions, then you may be ready to step-up to new ERP software that can handle your business needs now and into the future.