Job Shop, Engineered Products, Automotive Supplier, Stamping
The Manufacturing process involves extensive use of Molds/Dies. New Molds/Dies are built in-house, as well as repair and maintenance of existing Molds/Dies. Capturing labor and material costs for each Mold/Die is critical to cost analysis and profitability.
Managing the entire life cycle of the Mold/Die in NAV will extend the life of the tool, avoid unnecessary down time during production runs, and allow for Mold/Die replacement planning.
- Plan material and labor for new Mold/Die (utilize NAV Bill of Material, Routing, and Production Orders).
- Schedule the Mold/Die work using NAV manufacturing (treated as just another Production Order).
- Purchasing to have visibility to Mold/Die component needs in Planning Worksheets.
- Schedule maintenance of the Mold/Die – NAV to provide life cycle information such as when to sharpen a Die based on usage to date and Production run piece requirements.
- The Mold/Die is assigned to the Production Order item.
- NAV to track costs on the maintenance of the Mold/Die to allow applying costs of the Mold/Die to the Production Order when used.
A combination of NAV base functionality and customization are utilized for this solution. NAV Production Orders are now used for new Molds/Dies Tooling with Bill of Materials and Routings. Molds/Dies are scheduled and actual component costs and labor costs are tracked. NAVs functionality is leveraged to generate sub Production Mold/Die Orders (Replan) from a Master Production Mold/Die Order, allowing planners to schedule and manage all related Production Orders related to the Parent Mold/Die Production Order.
A Mold/Die is added as a component on the Bill of Material for the finished item, allowing costs to be charged to the Production Order and to maintain Mold/Die life statistics for both maintenance and replacement. Costs are pro-rated based on the expected life quantity of parts planned for the Mold/Die.
NAV Scheduling highlights when a Mold/Die is needed for an upcoming Production Order, allowing the tooling department to be working on the correct Mold/Die in the correct sequence prior to production need.
Mold/Die life statistics allow a pro-active approach to managing the large number of Molds/Dies, when to sharpen, when to rebuild, and when to replace. This approach supports a production goal, whenever possible, not to interrupt a production run to do maintenance to the Mold/Die (such as sharpening), avoiding expensive down time.
Costing analysis now provides a true cost margin with Mold/Die costs included in every production run – margins are more accurate.
NAV now provides life cycle management of Molds/Dies utilizing NAV Bills of Material, Routings, and Production Orders.
Purchasing now has visibility to materials needed for Mold/Die work as part of running planning worksheets and not a separate process
Production orders now manage the Mold/Die allocation of costs and provide Mold/Die life usage statistics. Now, pro-active managing of Mold/Die life is possible. Product margin visibility is better, driving better business decisions.